March 22, 2012

Target Women

Do you feel like laughing your ass off AND being critical of the media? Then you should most definitely take a few minutes and watch these videos. If you're like me, you'll immediately become addicted! Though these were made a couple of years back, they are still so relevant. They use satire to simultaneously laugh at, point out, and challenge very gendered, as well as heterosexist, racist, and classist ideas about what it means to be a woman and a girl in our contemporary Western (North American?) society. They also point out the degree to which the ideas embedded in much advertising, TV, movies, and other forms of popular culture are socially constructed. Here are three of my favourites:


God, I f*ing love Sarah Haskins. She may just be may new idol. I really have this overwhelming desire to share her brilliance with others... so let me know what you think! xo Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely thoughts: