September 12, 2011

The Woman--A Feminist Approach?

Oh dear, it looks as though I may have made a grave mistake! I recently blogged about a movie titled The Woman (click here to see the post), claiming that it was horrifyingly problematic. Indeed, at first glance, it is!!  However, after doing further research on this movie, I have come to realize that it is a satire--it uses irony and hyperbole (over-exaggeration) to challenge and subvert the so-called civilizing process that nice white middle class families and men impose upon women. Whether or not I believe this movie actually subverts and challenges male superiority, white supremacy, and neo-colonization, I do not know. Needless to say, I am going to check it out at the Atlantic Film Festival. See their description of the movie here.

In hindsight, I perhaps should have dug deeper into the movie and its feminist filmmaker Lucky Mckee; however, I did not catch its subtle irony. Indeed, on iTunes there is absolutely NO note of it being an ironic feminist take on women's inferiority and their subjection to colonizing processes. Check out the iTunes trailer here.

xo Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely thoughts: